As like most people, when eating a wheat-free, low-carb diet one of the things you miss the most is bread. Something to rest your eggs on, cook around your melted cheese, and spread butter and jam on. So when I came across a blog promising a bread I would be able to do this with I knew it would be amazing. Sure enough it was called Amazing Bread. My first go-round with it I didn’t follow the instructions and cooked as I normally do, which is throw things in with half-ass measurements and hope it all works out.
While the bread looked awesome from the outside, crispy crust, when cutting it open I saw it hadn’t raised to the crust level and was a bit gummy in the middle. 😦
The next time I tried I actually read the instructions and saw how important the exact measurements and weights were. One of the biggest mistakes I made was not blending my psyllium husks finer than they come in the container. I initially used 10 tablespoons as suggested and when weighing that I found it weighed like 40 grams, as opposed to the 90 it needed. OOOPS!
So I tried it again. I changed things up a tiny bit from the original Amazing Bread recipe but it came out AWESOME! I am calling this; AWESOME Amazing Bread.
AWESOME Amazing Bread
8 oz of almond meal (flour)
2 oz of coconut flour
10 TBS psyllium husk powder (90 grams) (make sure to grind the powder a second time, I just did it in my Ninja blender and weigh it. 10 TBS may not equal 90 grams. 90 grams is what you want)
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp Celtic sea salt
5 TBS apple cider vinegar (2 oz)
8 oz liquid egg whites
1 1/2 cup BOILING water (12 oz)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Combine the flour, psyllium powder, baking powder, and salt. Mix until they are well combined. Add in the eggs and vinegar and mix until well-mixed. Mine broke into thick dough pieces. Add boiling water into the bowl. Mix until well combined and dough firms up and you can scoop it out of the bowl with your hands.
Form into a loaf and place into a greased bread pan. Bake for 60-75 minutes. Both times I cooked it for 75 minutes. I used a toothpick to poke through and check doneness. It will be firm to touch and have an awesome crispy brown crust. Remove from the oven and allow the bread to cool completely.
Slice into 20 thin slices.
- I used Central Market Psyllium husk brand and my bread turned out a normal color. Some people have noted if you use NOW brand it turns out purple.
- No special bread machine or mixer needed. I used an oven to cook it and good ol upper-body strength to stir everything together.
- As you can see, my only change was to sub some coconut flour and add a bit more egg. So the only AWESOME part is that I was super excited I was able to make wheat-free, low-carb BREAD!
Nutritional Information (1 net carb per slice!)
- Something to spread the butter on… (talltalesfromchiconia.wordpress.com)
- A Guide to Gluten-free Flours and Starches (freepeople.com)
- Wholesome Buckwheat Bread (healednutrition.com)
- Can you make gluten-free bread at home? (sacbee.com)
- Sesame and Poppyseed Crackers (Gluten, Diary and Sugar free) (sweetenoughthanks.wordpress.com)
- what is psyllium husk? (glutenfreegirl.com)
- Easy Versatile Gluten Free Bread (instructables.com)