I made the most awesome muffins today! I found a receipe on RecipeZaar and made a few changes to use whole wheat flour and brown sugar. I am so shocked out how scrumptious they are! I used the blackberries that I picked last year and froze. I was so glad to finally use them! Here is the recipe I used; including the changes.
1 lemon, juice and zest of (I also used the zest from half an orange)
1/2 cup milk (almost)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 large egg
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 1/3 cups whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup blackberry
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Spray or butter a muffin tin (insides and tops to prevent the muffins from sticking with the puff up) and set aside.
- Zest a lemon, and set aside.
- Squeeze the juice of the lemon into a measuring cup over a sieve to catch the seeds and pips.
- Pour milk into the measuring cup to make up a half cup.
- Stir in the zest and vanilla, and then set aside.
- Melt the butter and set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, measure out the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar. Mix well.
- To the lemon and milk mixture, add the egg and whisk to combine.
- Next, add the cooled butter and mix well. Add this to the dry ingredients and mix just to combine.
- Do not over mix- there may well be lumps but that’s alright.
- Spoon batter into muffin tins, filling them halfway.
- Sprinkle a few berries in and then continue to fill the muffin tins to the top.
- Bake in a 400 F oven for 25 minutes until the tops are springy.
- Cool for a few minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool for 10-15 minutes.